Any professional knows that a business is only as successful as the people behind it. When you have the right employees putting their skills to maximum use, by working together and having a good time, success becomes the inevitable result. Creating that winning combination can be difficult. The first place to start is by hiring the right folks with the right qualifications. One person’s attitude and mentality can make an impact on the company overall. After growing Advantage|ForbesBooks to a company of serving hundreds of members, I have learned a few important takeaways from building my A-Team, and I’m eager to share what I’ve learned.
- Staff your team with A-players; they’re worth the wait. An A-player is someone who brings all of the necessary qualifications to the table – perhaps more than you were expecting – and that something extra as a human being. Of course, that isn’t always readily apparent during a 45-minute interview; it can take time to see the true colors of a talented individual to come through. It’s important to have A-players who put the team first; egomaniacs who cannot collaborate can grind productivity to a screeching halt.
- The importance of having fun. Having fun not only helps your team do well, it’s a sign that you’re doing things right. Where fun and work meet is the understanding from employees that they’re making a difference. You want a team of individuals who are motivated by the ‘why’ of what they do. Fun at work means having energy and enthusiasm while tending to the tasks at hand.
- Make employees, and clients, your extended family. A family environment significantly facilitates a team mentality, especially for those quiet geniuses who like to keep to themselves because they’re shy. But why stop there? Extend the love to clients, suppliers and other crucial components of the business. Without these folks, your business couldn’t survive.
- Direction: understanding the “why;” encourage difference makers. Our team members are driven by the ‘why’ of what we do. The right content in the right person’s hands at the right time can change the world forever. We believe in sharing stories, passion and knowledge to guide and help others learn and grow.
- Commit to lifelong learning. Seek to uncover and promote the leader in every one on your team by encouraging all members to follow a path of personal and professional development. With increased knowledge, experiences and skills, people lead to a more fulfilled life, which can profit everyone within a working environment.